Monday, February 9, 2009

Lost in Hair Trigger

By self diagnosis, I'm a reader by default. And every so often I undergo a tedious search for fresh material. This weeks assignment gave me that opportunity within the realm of Columbia College publication. However from a students perspective, I was a bit skeptical. I've read other publications that Columbia has done like the newspaper, Echo, Demo, and occasionally I browse the theatrical journals in the library (possibly done by graduate students) but I wondered if I'd really be able to enjoy something I knew absolutely nothing about. So because I wasn't to familiar with any other Columbia publications, I focused my attention on one of the suggested publications listed on the assignment sheet, specifically Hair Trigger. Its name didn't ring any bell and it sounded odd enough that it definitely deserved being investigated. Going in I had one preconception, that it wasn't a magazine, because if it were I would have caught notice by now and another that it's very possible that its a collection of graduate student work but either way I still had burning curiosity.

My search began in our schools library 600 South Michigan. Through the main entrance the library is a straight shot past the elevators. The environment inside was like a graveyard, vacant computers, empty coffee stand and resting printers. I wasn't too surprised, seeing as it was a Saturday morning. But unlike the practically desolate library, the staff were all to eager to help. My journey lead me to the fifth floor, section 810.8H153, where I found a collection of Hair trigger issues. I picked up the oldest book, it had to be issue 11 or older. My first instinct was to flip through the pages so I fed into that urge effortlessly. Wordy, was the initial reaction. No pictures included in this issue, and for people that tend to be more visual, this may not be their type of literature. But for the folks who enjoy a bit of meat added to there reading diets no complaints here, it's definitely something that one should look into. But for the sake of the other breed of reader, I practically went through the entire assortment of Hair Trigger issues until I found one that had literally a pinch of visual among the endless words. These eight images go from black and white to color and each conveys a different story. Its a lot like illustration in a way, each significant yet in some ways abstract in meaning or purpose. These stories aren't always as clear and concrete as writing.

Hair Trigger unlike other Columbia publications is the Colleges' fiction writing department's anthology of student writing. Its a collection of prose fiction and creative nonfiction all done by both undergraduate and graduate students, at all levels of study. While reading issue 29 I also discovered that these works come from core courses like Intro to Fiction, Fiction writing (I, II) Prose forms, Advanced Fiction, and Advanced Prose forms. Fiction seminars are included, even story work shops, critical reading and writing classes, playwriting and these works can be of any genre. Hair Trigger is no stranger to award winning, racking up First place prizes in national competitions from the Association of Writers and Writing Programs, the Coordinating Council of Literary Magazines and the Columbia University Scholastic Press Association. Plus within the preface it speaks of students actually building successful careers. And even winning their own individual awards.

From first glance this looks like your typical short story book but its a community of writing that's actually being done within the college. The cover of issue 29 is a black and white photograph with children playing in water from a fire hydrant( most likely on a hot day). There's wear to this book which adds even more realness to this issue and its material. The writers are both male and female, and the chapters are arranged according to class. The titles are off the wall as well but there are certain read between the line aspects to them. My favorite was "Strange Transit" by Emily Gindleparger. Its not as long as the other stories but I could definitely connect to the character in a uneven kind of way. And it wasn't written in the usual restrictions that writing has often imposed. Which is the story behind all the other writing in this issue of Hair Trigger.There are other stories like the Photography Essays Welcome to New York: A Visitor's Guide by Matt Nighswander and then Johnathan Gitelson's "What Does it all Mean?" Chelsea Laine Wells story Grit was another story I found intriguing, it was so different from any literature that I'm use to. "Breaking ground," by Jon T. Tarack was another story I enjoyed.

The writing and even the few images in issue 29 of Hair trigger from what I've read all have this wholesome sweetness to them, while others are raw and even a bit gritty. Its a nice assortment of short stories that could get anyone in the mood for reading. Plus its student work, and how often do we get to read the thoughts of other students, so uncensored (not in a bad way). Its a chance to actually get to read something published by someone who was probably just as lost as we are. Or for that matter just as sure of themselves as we are. Although there aren't many pictures in Hair Trigger and its lengthiness may frighten, it still has a bit of everything for any type of reader, what ever your preference. It may not be for everyone but there are stories that are worth reading.

6 comments:

  1. Very thorough review of Hair Trigger for anyone unfamiliar with this publication. One suggestion I have is to omit the part about you going to the library on a Saturday morning to check the magazine out. It seems to side-track from the actual purpose of this magazine. The place you found the publication in my mind only detracts from your in depth writing style. I enjoyed how you explained your first experience with Hair Trigger from beginning to end. Some sentences were long winded as well, but overall the review gave a clear picture of your positive impression of this magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovietta, your review takes on a really different approach, and it worked! Rather than just going into the basics of what the publication is, whats in it, and what you thought about it, you described it as a journey. You really put your personality into this work and it definitely shows. For me personally, I really will take to heart something someone recommends it I like the person. The first part of your review make you likable and therefore the opinion you share after is that much more effective. The way you desribed your experience of obtaining Hair Trigger may be a little to wordy and unnecessary for another situation. However, I think it fits perfectly in your particular case. You are a Columbia student recommending something to other columbia students. Therefore, it works.
    There are a few areas that definitely need to be cleaned up grammatically, you probably know this. Other then that I really liked it and I liked the different approach you came up with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The title and opening sentence put your review off to a great start. Both clever and catchy, they set off the tone of your review and made me want to read more. However, the bit about your journey to the library to hunt down Hair Trigger itself was a bit distracting.
    I like how you clearly give a brief background on what Hair Trigger is without going overboard. It was also nice how you discussed the different versions and how some were strictly text, while others included pictures. Also, by stating your stance as a current Columbia student, you provide perfect leverage to why other students would enjoy this reading.
    The specific examples were great, but it would have been nice to be given a bit of information about the content of the stories and why they stuck out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovietta,
    This review has a very strong personal voice, which really comes through and is very compelling. At the same time, I sometimes thought that the review was too grounded in the specific of your personal interaction with the publication; as Pat (w00T HA) says above, the narrative of actually getting an issue of Hair Trigger in your hands was a little distracting. It made me impatient to get to the review and assessment itself; once that happened, it was satisfying, but the reader really had to wait for it.

    I like that you focus as much on the photos as on the writing--you do the whole publication justice, and you support it by referring to specific stories. At the same time, as a reader I wanted to hear more about why you liked certain stories, not just that you liked them at all. Was it the voice, plot, style, etc.? The more detail a review can provide the reader, the better informed the reader will be about what your assessment is, and how it came to be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good blog. Thoughtful, thorough and informative. I liked how you described Hair Trigger when you first picked it up. I liked how you ended this, and reading it kept me engaged the whole time. Some suggestions I have would be to not put the address of the library, instead just say "our school's library." My last suggestion would be to maybe shorten some sentences as it tends to run on a bit.

    ReplyDelete