Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Review Essay

With my review essay I considered a lot of things, a painting, "Uh huh Her's Cd", and even an old cartoon show called Invader Zim. But for some reason I kept thinking about Dave's block party, his show and why he'd left. So I thought that instead of focusing on Dave totally, I'd use some of the elements that I wrote about in that review to guide my review essay. Which will examine the movie Hancock. Not many people like it. One reason could be how Will Smith portrayed a superhero on scene or the stereotypical image of the black male within society. I personally enjoyed the movie. But not exactly a fan of Dave's more racy and stereotype humor. Although having said that I really enjoyed his block party. It was a change for him. Getting back to topic though, I really think that Hancock almost parallels some of the jokes Dave goes for. However where Dave succeeds, a movie like Hancock in most peoples eyes seems to fail, because they don't get it. Why is that? And from Will's movie roles he doesn't seem to act in anything unless there's a purpose behind it. I'm sure he saw the black male image in this piece, but he still did it. Will played with those boundries a little bit, which is what Dave is practically famous for. Going somewhere no one else has gone for the best or worst, its still puzzling how Will's movie and Dave's comedy for the most part content wise are almost mirror images.

1 comment:

  1. I'm interested to see how your going to relate the two. I did watch Hancock a long time ago, and didn't really get into it all that much, but thats mostly because it was pretty corny. I ussually love his films but that one struck me as a little odd. I would really like to see it from your perspective so I could give it another chance since most likely I missed a lot of things.

    If you do end up doing this then you should spend a lot of time making sure that you make your point clear as to how they are related because I think I'm still a little confused after reading your proposal. I dont see the corilation between the two, but hopefully I will in a couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete